Thursday 7 June 2007

Worth the wait - A nice show in Cologne at last

I just found out via punkstelle.de that Walls Of Jericho will play in Cologne alogside German hardcore outfit Zero Mentality. That show will be in July and what's best, it will be just around the corner from where I live so I can simply walk there. Now that's something I like.


I stumbled across Walls Of Jericho a few years ago when I was trying to pick up a little bit on what had happened in hardcore while I was listening to a lot of college rock emo and their first album "The Bound Feed the Gagged" completely blew me away. Now that was something I hadn't heard in a long time. Raw, aggressive, fast, hard, brutal and tight. Just as it is supposed to be. I was hooked in an instant and was really looking forward to see the band play live only to find out they had been on a hiatus. When they finally came over here with a new drummer and a new record (a record which I didn't like as much as the first one, to my surprise) they were playing anywhere but near to Cologne.

So I kept waiting and waiting and along came their third album "With Devils Amongst Us All" and that one was brilliant again. The only irritating thing was this strange Evanescence-like ballad type-of-song which was completely falling out of the scheme. But, hey, there's a skip button, right? So I'm thrilled to see the band play live since it is also a rather small venue. And I hope a friend of mine is still accompanying Zero Mentality so I might have a chance to talk to him again.

No comments: