Wednesday 13 June 2007

Like a lava stream again: Isis @ Stollwerck, Cologne

Isis again, a band a really have come to like over the past few years. It all started when our guitarist gave me the "Oceanic" record and I was instantly blown away. I saw the band play live on their tour back then when they were at the "Underground" in Cologne. Accompanied by 27 they completely tore the place apart. I wrote in a review that "Isis [were] like a lava stream rolling towards you. You know you have to run away but instead you are staying because of the beauty of what is happening in front of you". That show was a revelation and is still one of the best shows I have seen so far. The highlight was definetely the song "Weight", performed by Isis and the members of 27 with the singer of 27 on vocals. Wonderful stuff.

So they were back again in Cologne yesterday. I missed them the last time they came around two years ago with Jesu and I'm still trying to figure out what I did on that day that made me not go to the show. I just can't remember. That show also took place at the "Stollwerck". The place was once a chocolate factory that was turned into a squat at the beginng of the 1980s. Today all that remains is the name and this one building which is left standing of what once was a huge complex. Still it is a very nice venue for a show with a small park in front of the building where you can just hang back a drink a few beers before the action gets started.


(This is the building. You can't see the park the good though. It's to the left.)

I arrived there way too early just to do exactly that. Hang out and have a drink. And I was quickly joined by a few friends of mine who either happened to just be there or were set to go to the show as well. A lot of fun and by drinking outside we missed the first band, Oxbow, so I can't really say anything about them.
When Isis started I was slightly drunk already and what I heard on stage was just brilliant. The sound was crystal clear and the band was playing a really tight set. great. Still I think I like the show at the "Underground" better. I can't explain why, it just happens to be that way.


After the show me and two friends who didn't want to pay and stayed outside the whole time had a little chat and then got on our way home. It was very refreshing to ride my bike without the very humid weather of the past few days. That really rounded off a nearly perfect evening.

No comments: