Tuesday 26 June 2007

In The Backyard Of The Record Collection (4): Avail - "Over The James"

I neglected this record for a way too long time. The were nomerous occansions when I listened to this gem over and over again. And after listening to it I really felt better. It's one of those records that really lift you up to the next level and give you strength and hope. AVAIL were one of those bands who managed to capture the intensity of everything hardcore and punkrock mean to me.


"Over The James" (1998, Lookout) wasn't the first record I bought by them, in fact I got "4AM Friday" (1996, Lookout) first. I fell in love with the wild mixture of power and melodies instantly. This wasn't as nearly as chaotic as some hardcore bands but it wasn't as boring as some punkrock records. It had the energy of a live show in a small room during a hot summer's day when everybody in the venue is moving around and there's the stench of sweat and beer everywhere.
So when I got myself a copy of "Over The James" I thought it couldn't get any better. But it did. And to top if off the live show at the "Sojus" in Monheim was one of the best I've ever been to. Pascal, Dimi and me were bouncing around in the front rows singing along to every song while the band was giving their all on stage. I guess in the end it's those memories that keep you coming back for more. Although I rarely experienced something like this again later.

"S.R.O." was one of the songs that stayed in my ear for most of the time. Great lyrics as well.

"What difference does it really make When your head's at the foot of the bed? Close the lid tight remain out of sight Easy escape numb the senses
Everyone around is such an expert On who is who and what they do I could give a fuck about small talk Discussions in fact I'd rather be alone And do without companionship for now Block out and walk out unseen Keep far away thean come clean
I thought I heard someone say That if the bottle falls but doesn't break Feel blessed it all stayed inside Unopen beats spilling
Bored to death with hearing second hand Who's grown roots who's on teh move Can't seem to avoid small talk discussions Is it safe to be unknown? Who's in, what's out, can't keep up Keep up, look good, be seen Label a trend with no meaning"


Do yourselves a favour, get the record.

On a side note, I completely lost track of what the band was doing after that show in 1998. They put out two more records on Fat Wreck and their singer tried some solo stuff, I heard. But I never got to the point where I wanted to buy one of their later records. Why, I wonder...

Here's one track off "Over The James" that can be found on their website. Enjoy.

Avail - August

No comments: