Saturday 9 June 2007

Some things never really change, do they? - The Heartbreak Motel and Bubonix @ Sonic Ballroom

When I was coming back from a very successful and refreshing rehearsal session with my bandmates I found some messages from two friends that there was a show at Cologne's No. 1 punkrock bar Sonic Ballroom and that both of them were planning to go there. So we met up at the club and hung out before the show.


Now, the Ballroom is a very special place in Cologne. When that place started out it was sort of an island in a sea of mainstream disco clubs. Ehrenfeld, that part of Cologne where the Ballroom is located, is known for its many bars and clubs, but most of them, as I said, are playing mainstream stuff or electronic music. There simply wasn't a punkrock bar there. So the Ballroom really came at the right time. Over the past few years they had to overcome some obstacles (e.g. the some city department wanted to close down the bar because it was too loud - still there was noone leaving anywhere near it. Stuff like that, you know). They always came back and today the bar/club has become one of the nicest places in Cologne. They now even have a beer garden and by renovating the inside they now have the chance to let bands play there. And they use this chance rather often. There always is a show happening.

So yesterday it was The Heartbreak Motel and Bubonix. I think I've seen both bands before. I might have come across The Heartbreak Motel when they were still playing under the name of Daylight. They didn't really get my attention yesterday. Too much cliché and standard rock 'n' roll stuff, so I decided to hang back and have another beer.
I think I've seen Bubonix a couple of years ago and I remember them as a rather uninspiring german punk/hardcore outfit. Still one of my friends told me that they had evolved into a brilliant hardcore band. None of that was true. I tried to find some good points in their songwriting, but I always had the feeling that I'd seen the whole thing before. Boring, uninspiring, simply not interesting. So I went to have another beer and after so many pauses during shows I had my fill quite early and left for home on my bike.

No comments: