Friday 8 June 2007

Oakland 0 Boston 1 - That was close!

Curt Schilling came close to throwing a no-hitter in yesterday's game against The Oakland A's. Unfortunately the stream died right before the ninth inning so I wasn't able to catch the Oakland hit with two out, but the whole match before that was thrilling as well. Now I understand that this is something very special in baseball and I also know that you shouldn't talk about a no-hitter in progress, but I found it rather interesting that both commentators only started talking that a no-no is possible after the 7th or in the 8th inning. Apparently the broadcast of the draft was also interrupted to show the final inning.


I have seen Chien-Ming Wang pitch a nearly perfect game this season, but he blew that one a few innings earlier when he allowed a home run. Yesterday's game had much more drama, I guess that's what Americans like about this sport. What adds to the drama even more is that Schilling seems to have decided the fatal pitch that allowed Oakland a run. Where his catcher Jason Varitek wanted a slider Schilling opted for the over 90 mph fastball. What tragedy.

Still that was one interesting ballgame. The deciding run came in the first inning by a homerun from David Ortiz. After that some fine defensive play was to be seen. Just as in football I guess I have a heart for defensive plays. Both pitchers were throwing very well, the Oakland starter just had bad luck when he gave up the run in the 1st inning already.

Unfortunately I won't be able to watch the series against the Diamondbacks because all matches are scheduled for night games. Well, maybe an inning or two. Damn, I should get more sleep.

I just found a video of some scenes of the "almost no-hitter", take a look be clicking >>>here<<<.

No comments: