Thursday 14 June 2007

In the Backyard Of The Record Collection (3): Water Closet

I can't recall where I stumbled across this little gem. Maybe it was while researching about another great band from Japan, Ellegarden. Anyway, I got some copies of the records of Water Closet and I was blown away with the first few chords. This is a band in the vein of Discount or Cigaretteman (who also shared a split 7", by the way). Female fronted melodic punkrock with the right kind of sloppiness. Not too perfect, yet not too crappy. The right amount of melodies with the right amount of crunchy guitars and (at least) a little out of tune instruments.

I think "Again & Again" (2000, Swept Rec.) was their 2nd release. This record has it all, I think. It starts of with a rather unnecassary intro and blasts of with a song sung by guitarist Asuka, who shares her vocal parts with bassist Shimo. They interact perfectly, wonderful harmonies. What's a little strange at first is the very heavy Japanese accent in their English. Without a lyric sheet you're not even close to guessing what they are trying to say. Then again, the whole music, instruments and vocals, really convey what the band wants to get across. I had the same feeling when listening to Negu Gorriak from Euskadia a few years ago. I wasn't able to understand a single word yet the message came across through the music and the way the singer was singing.
As for the lyrics one shouldn't expect too much intellectualism. It's everyday life stories with a little punk edge thrown in.


They released two more records after this one, "Water Closet Music" (2002, Pizza Of Death Rec.) and a Split CD with Registrators (2004, Pizza Of Death Rec.) and had another Record before "Again & Again" called "Time Is Cool" (1998, Swept Rec.). On that one the band was still a three-piece, guitarist Etsushi joined in 2000.

I was really happy when I found the European pressing of "Again & Again" (2000, Rugger Bugger) in a 2nd hand box at my local record store. Only 2 Euros, now that's what I call a bargain.
Unfortunately there are no mp3s on their website, but for a teaser you might want to try some songs on the Pizza Of Death Website.

The band still seems to be around as there are always new tourdates on their website. Hopefully they make it to Europe or else I have to travel all the way to Japan to see them perform.

No comments: