Saturday 16 June 2007

Take me out to the ballgame

One thing I noticed in my newly found and still ongoing fascination of the sport of baseball is the 7th inning stretch. Although you can read (and obviously also write) articles about this it's something I will never understand. On the other hand I just find this wonderful. As I was watching the Cubs game against the Padres last night I watched an old man, maybe some celebrity nobody knows over, sang the tune of "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" with the whole ballpark backing him up. This looked a little bit like what is going on before matches in European football stadiums. Everyone knows the infamous "You'll Never Walk Alone" sung at both Anfield and Celtic Park. Then there are the hymns at Estadio Bernabeu and Nou Camp. The fans of 1 FC Cologne also have their own song they sing before every game. In the German region of Baden supporters tend to sing their national anthem "Das Badener Lied". But there is nothing that all fans can relate as there is in American baseball with "Take Me Out To The Ballgame".
I am still not quite sure of what to make of this. I see sports as rivalry where two opponents meet to fight it out. Same goes for the fans. They should yell down each other to intimidate the players and their opposing side of supporters. Maybe it's different in the USA since the distances between the cities in which the teams are located are so huge that there isn't a thing like groundhopping over there. Maybe it's simply too expensive.
Now I imagine that there is a very dedicated following in certain cities, especially the ones that have teams that were in the competition from the very beginning of professional sports. In baseball I would really like to pay a visit to Fenway Park, especially since I found out that they have a very strong following and they also have their own songs they sing during games. Although I wouldn't imagine the fans sounding like Dropkick Murphys when they do "Tessie", the song most people seem to associate with the Red Sox.

No comments: