Wednesday 28 November 2007

The Weakerthans @ Stollwerck, Cologne

It never was a secret that The Weakerthans from Winnipeg, Mb. are one of my favourite bands of all time. Ever since I first met Stephen, their guitarist, while he was on tour with his first band Painted Thin, and then ever since he joined The Weakerthans and I got to see them play live on their first tour in 1998 I always tried to keep track on what they are doing. I still admire the records, I simply love "Fallow" and I adore "Left & Leaving", although I have to admit, that "Reconstruction Site" and "Reunion Tour" weren't able to keep up with the first two. Still, those are great records on their own with wonderful songs.
I must have seen the band numerous times. From their aforementioned first tour in 1998 when I had the pleasure of joining them for two days in Herten and Cologne (where they played a fantastic show in front of only 50 people at the "Between") to a show in 2001 when A Modest Proposal were opening up for them, to a sold out show in 2003 and a festival show in 2006 - they never disappointed me. So when word spread that they were coming to Cologne again I was sure to get a ticket for the show.
I always liked bands from Winnipeg, why I can't really tell. Maybe it was because I instantly fell in love with the guys of Painted Thin in 1997 when they were on a two month tour of Germany. Bands like them, the follow up Sixty Stories, who are now called Anthem Red, The Bonaduces, The Paperbacks, A singer/songwriter like Mike McKenzie. They were writing the songs I really liked and which I still like. Their music is very relaxing to me and their lyrics somehow seem to realy strike a chord with me. I can't really say why since it is very strange that someone from a city like Cologne could relate to what people write in the middle of nowhere. Which is what Winnipeg was described to me by those bands. Maybe it's just that the people there have a talent to write wonderful lyrics which everyone can relate to.

So yeah, The Weakerthans live on stage in Cologne. A friend of mine told me she was doing an interview at the venue and I gladly dropped by to hang out and say hi to Stephen and John K. It's really nice to meet people after two or three years and then you find out that nothing really changed. Although the contact is rather fragile there still is this warm feeling of meeting a good friend again. And although I didn't have the chance to talk to Stephen a lot (we promised to meet up for a drink next time) buying socks wth Mr Samson at a huge department store in Cologne sure was fun. By the time we got back to the "Stollwerck" the place was packed with people. A lot of friends were there as well and everything was set up for a great night. First up were Jonas Goldbaum from Austria and that's where I'll leave it since the music wasn't tempting enough to lure me into the room. Pretty average Indie stuff. I took the time to have some chats with friends I hadn't seen in a long time. That's what makes such shows special. People popping up out of nowhere. Great.
Next up were House & Parish, an all-star band from Brooklyn made up of ex-mebers of The Promise Ring, Texas Is The Reason and The Gloria Record. I saw them play live at the "Blue Shell" a few months ago and when you keep in mind what ex-bands are in that band it's a little bit disappointing to a certain extent. Don't get me wrong, they know their trade and the music is good, but the little extra is missing. It just won't stick in my ear. Maybe this night it was all because of the Canadian band that was playing next.
Those goys really know how to create a warm and pleasant atmosphere. Although they are not an all out rock band playing faster, harder, louder, they manage to draw people into their set and make them feel comfortable. And although there were some songs missing which some people certainly would have liked to listen to this show was nearly perfect. John K. is one hell of a frontman. When some Propaghandi die-hard demanded they play "Stick that motherfucking flag up your goddamn ass, you sonofabitch" he simply replied that they don't play this song and why should they play it when they have so much better songs themselves. Brilliant. That's how you bring people to listen. And he said it all with his big smile. They really got me again and I will definetely return when they come over here again next year. Because it's always great to meet old friends.

No comments: