Sunday 2 December 2007

Minus The Bear @ Neue Werkstatt, Cologne

Visions Magazine is doing shows for quite some time now, but all of those took place in Dortmund, if I'm corrctly informed. Now they expanded their grasp on Cologne and so I went to see their 2nd so called "Visions Party" at a new club in Ehrenfeld, a hip part of Cologne. The club is your usual old and rundown small factory building which is turned into some disco thing. Nothing special, way too clean and boring and the beer is much too expensive. I saw Minus The Bear some time ago when they played at the "Blue Shell" and I remember I really liked the music back then. First I had to endure Escapado, a German band who put out their new record on Grand Hotel Van Cleef, a labvel from Hamburg which is run by lots of guys who come from the punk scene. Bands like Kettcar and Tomte are on their roster and Escapado fall out of line a little bit. It's not that their music is crap, but somehow I'm just not interested in that stuff anymore. You can hear that they are influenced by bands like Yage or Loxiran, but they neer reach the level that those to bands had. Still they draw pretty big crowds and yesterday was no exception. The people were having fun and I had a pleasant coversation.
Minus The Bear were a letdown afterwards. Somehow my memory must have played a trick on me since that was something completely different from what I remembered them to sound like. Rather indie-ish and not so much into atmospheric and long songs. Disappointing in a way. What kept me in the room was the way their guitarist was handling his instrument. That was fun to watch.
After the show we hung out at the party for some time, but that was just your normal big sico kind of crap with bad music and strange people. I was wasted when I got home, so I guess I had a nice evening in the company of nice people but with a rather disappointing show. Next.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wasted?
hahaa, ja gut möglich!