Thursday 1 November 2007

The usual debate: British secretary complains about footballers wages

There is an article on Guardian Unlimited which deals with the British sports minister complaing about the wages of professional football players. Now we all know that those guys who play in the big leagues earn a lot of money and, well, yes, I have to admit that sometimes I have to shake my head as well when I hear about the sums which are payed for certain players. But then again, isn't this obvious? With all the media attention and the sponsoring of sports during the past years there wasn't really any doubt that with the money that is payed for the broadcasting rights on the rise there will also be a huge rise in salaries for players in professional leagues. And as long as there are clubs who are willing to pay that much for certain players those sums will get payed. Period.
What might be true though is that "people in the street" will find it harder to afford tickets for 1st division games in Europe. Although this might not be true for Germany yet the tendency is going towards that direction. At the moment prices for football matches are very low in Germany compared to other sporting tickets or leagues elsewhere. But with clubs turning into huge companies which are trying to get profit first it will only be a matter of time until prices will rise. I for myself don't see any reason why I should pay high prices if I don't want to. In the end what it comes down to is that it's the individual decision of every fan. If you don't like it, don't pay it. I've been going to my 5th division crap team, I pay my money there, yes, I think it's expensive, but still I go there because I want to, so why should I complain?

Update: As one would have expected it didn't take long for the clubs to reply.

No comments: