Thursday 15 November 2007

This AIn't Vegas + Patterns @ Gebäude 9 Café, Cologne

There used to be a lot of shows in the small café of the Gebäude 9 club back in the days. Compared to the huge hall in the back of the building which fits an audience of around 500 the frontroom with the bar (called "the café") is a way more nice and cozy room. As I said, back in the days there used to be a lot more shows there, bands like Braid, The Get Up Kids, Ensign or Hot Water Music played there and it was always a very good time.
So I was extremely pleaed when I found out that a friend of mine was setting up a show for the British band This Ain't Vegas, who I had seen some time ago, but I can't quite remember what they sounded like. I thought I remembered them as rather hectic and lively. Anyways, I arrived at the club at around 8.30 pm and there was almost nobody there. So I hung back, drank a few drinks and had a little chat with some of the people I knew who were already there. Patterns climbed on stage at around 9.30 pm and those guys sounded like they really like Fugazi. Very tricky yet very pounding progressive stuff with lots of breaks and weird guitar and bass ... well, yes, patterns. By the time they had finished the room was decently filled and the audience was warmed up for This Ain't Vegas. Now they didn't sound like anything I rememered. Or at least like what I thought they would sound like. This wasn't as complex and strange as I had it in mind. Quite the opposite, they were rather straight forward and rockin' out very well. This wasn't stuff that had you screaming at the top of your lungs or yelling out for more, but it was just the right music for a Wednesday night when you knew you had to go to work the next day. Nice one. Apparently the guy who set up the show advertised the whole thing as the last show before the great breakthrough for the band (it seems like they are entering the UK charts). Well, then it was nice to be a part of this...

No comments: