Friday 23 November 2007

Envy @ Gebäude 9, Cologne

I have been waiting for this one for a long time. The first time I was able to experience the whole intensity of an Envy live set was over eight years ago when they played the "Sojus 7" in Monheim. guess what, they were the supporting act for Jimmy Eat World on that day. Several other bands played, but I can't remember the names, I'm sorry. Anyway, those were the days. You can't imagine a billing like that today, can you? I was completely blown away by the energy the band was creating on stage. They were moving all the time and their brutal and chaotic hardcore sound was turning the whole room into a warzone. Great stuff.
They never returned for another show so I had to rely on their records which were always keeping the same level, very exciting and intense, pure despair and melancholy, anger and frustration. But also with a great sense for melodies. So when their "Insomniac Daze" LP came out in 2006 I was quite surprised how this monster changed into something even more interesting. Wonderful melodies and epic 10 minute songs with vocals screaming, talking, sometimes even whispering. This was even better than everything the band had done before. So I was really looking forward to their show in Cologne. Would they be playing the old stuff as well? No disappointment there, they actually delivered stuff from all of their LPs, I think. But the intensity was there again. Although there wasn't as much movement as there was eight years ago, but on another level it was the same. The audience stood and watched with their mouths wide open. At the end of the songs when they were fading out the music you couldn't hear anyone talk. This was awesome. I really loved that show and I sincerely hope I won't have to wait another eight years...

No comments: