Monday 29 October 2007

MLB: Boston wins it - NPB: Series tied

Congratulations to the city of Boston. The Red Sox swept the Rockies and won the World Series 2007. Jon Lester was the winning pitcher in Game 4 and because the Americans love those heartfelt stories about people who have to suffer some sickness or injury and then come back to win it all, Mr. Lester was at the center of attention. To me it's something I never really had in my fan life with football teams over here. The teams I root for are usually losers who don't win anything at all. Which is why I really like the red Sox. Their history, with all the failures, mistakes and terrible things that happend on their quest to end the 86 year old drought, is something I instantly fell in love with. And now that team wins their 2nd World Series title in 3 years. Amazing.
Although one has to admit that the Rockies were hard to beat in the playoffs one also had to say that they never really stood a chance against the Red Sox. Whatever the Rox were doing, the Sox immediatly found an answer. Yesterday Boston was cruising on a 4-1 lead in the 8th inning when Colorado finally made a comeback. Or did they? The only caught up to 4-3 and then Boston closer Jonathan Papelbon closed the door for them.
Well, it has been an interesting first full season of baseball for me and I think I'm hooked now. Hopefully some time in the future I might get to visit some friends in the States or Canada and then go to a game. I'm really looking forward to that.

Or I might go to Japan to watch a game there. The Nippon Series is tied now at 1-1 after the Dragons won the second game against the Fighters on Sunday. It seems there is a little more suspense in Japan. the Fighters won the first one after a tough battle 3-1 and now Chunichi thrashed them 8-1. Hopefully this series will go over the whole distance. Cause then there will be a rematch between Darvish and Kawakami from Game 1.
If I ever make it to Japan to watch a game I think I might try to get into Koushien to watch a Tigers game. It's funny cause I always thought of baseball supporters to be rather quiet and calm when their team plays. But after seeing pictures from the Boston fans celebrating in the streets and videos of Tigers fans making a huge noise at the stadium, I'd really like to check that out myself.

No comments: