Sunday 21 October 2007

A day at the record store (II)

I finally made it to my local record dealer again last week and this is what found there:

MONO Gone (A Collection Of EPs 2000-2007) 3xLP
This was the record I want to buy at my visit to the store and, boy oh boy, this is a gem. A triple LP set in a wonderful gatefold cover, really thick vinyl, brilliant artwork, this is just great. I know I won't put this one on my turntable that often, but I really love the music. It's a collection of some of their EP and compilation tracks, just pure MONO music. Loud, quiet, very dynamic, a great variety. I just love the way they create an atmosphere in which you can endulge and by the time ou are sucked into it it suddenly changes and they do something new and unexpected. This band really is great. On record as well as on stage.

PELICAN City Of Echoes LP
I just didn't know that there is a new record by PELICAN so I was kind of surprised to find this. I saw the band play live some time ago and although I really like their records it was rather hard to listen to them play their songs because their drummer had huge timing problems. At least it sounded like he did. So this record is great once again, although it seems to be a bit more straight to the point at one time, but also a bit more complicated on the other hand. Sounds strange? Might be, but that's what I think. There are some parts which have a rather up beat tempo and not this slow stuff. and then they change back to their epic and broad parts. Anyway, this is PELICAN as you know them and the way their guitars sound is just wonderful.

SUNNO))) - Oracle LP
This is the kind of record which makes my parents shake their heads and make them say that this ain't no music, it's just pure noise. And it's true, I mean, SUNNO))) take sound to a whole new level. When I saw them live last year that was one hell of an experience. The audience was feeling the room, trying to cover their ears, but I was standing there with some of my friends, transfixed and completely focused on the band and their one hour performance which was just stunning. And it was so liud that you could actually feel the music in your stomach. Brilliant.
Now this is a contribution by SUNNO))) to an art performance in which they played the music in connection with a sculpture of their backline made out of cast resin and salt in New York. It's that stuff which makes them interesting to me as well. Their just not your average black metal idiots.

ANTITAINMENT Nach der Kippe Pogo?! LP
I picked up this record only because someone suggested I should go to their concert but I wasn't able to make it there. The name sounded like some cliché punkrock band, but there is more to it. ANTITAINMENT play rather hectic crustcore with a very annoying organ/synthi added to it. It is rather hard to describe so I'd suggest you take a listen. Their lyrics sound a lot like the mid 90s Ebullition style emo bands which popped up all over Germany, albeit with a little more humour. Think AMEN81. I don't think that this record will land on my turntable too often, but every now and then I will listen to it. It nice to have something like taht once in a while. Vinyl version comes in a limited gatefold sleeve cover. Looking good.

THE WEAKERTHANS - Reunion Tour LP
Winnipeg's finest are back on the map with their fourth album, a piece which took them three years to record. Well, I don't know if it took them that long, but it's been that time since the last record came out. This is just your wonderful WEAKERTHANS stuff. No changes made, just pure prairie poetry punkrock with a little country flavour to it. I'm really looking forward to see the guys play again in Germany this November, but I have to admit that this record just can't keep up with the previous three. It's great, no doubt, but it's not as great as the ones they put out before. This is what the WEAKERTHANS are, they make greatr music, they are wonderful people and I will listen to this record anyway. But I just don't think that I will listen to it as extensively as I did to the other records. Still, a must have, not only because the vinyl comes in a wonderful gatefold sleeve.

ILIKETRAINS - Elegies To Lessons Learnt LP
I first heard about this British band when a former colleague of mine told me about a show he attended in Cologne where this band played. He was so fascinated and wouldn't talk about anything else because he was so thrilled with their persomance. So I gave them a chance and searched for some of their songs. And, to be honest, he was right. Although their live show must be a once in a lifetime experience the recorded songs sinmply blew me away. The music is very hypnotic and the interaction between the vocals and the instruments is brilliant. The deep voice of the singer interacts wonderfully with how the songs evolve, starting out rather slow and mellow and then ending up in a hgue crescendo which after some time fades out to become the same mellow and quiet part again that started the song. Wonderful stuff. The really captures the attention of the listener.

No comments: