Sunday 30 September 2007

RWC 2007: The minnows close the gap

When I watched a rugby match for the first time the year was 1995 and the World Cup was taking place in South Africa. I didn't have any idea about what the game was about, I didn't know the rules, but I had a lot of fun watching the match on my telly. I can't even remember what game it was, but a lot of points were scored and one team was dominating their opponents.
When I watched the RWC in 1999 I had a little idea about the game and the different levels of play on the world stage. There were very good teams, good teams and teams who just can't keep up with the rest. I saw crushing defeats for smaller nations and close games between the top teams. So I noticed the huge gap between the first and the second row of rugby teams.
Then in 2003 the RWC was shown on German TV, at least some matches, and I was still able to see 100+ point matches of the big names against smaller teams.

Now it's 2007 and I am thrilled about the perfomance by the minnow teams. I was watching the Wallabies play the Brave Blossoms and I really liked the Japanese way of playing. I watched the Canucks carry a half time lead against the Welsh Dragons. I watched the American Eagles play really well against England. Unfortunately I wasn't able to see the close matches of South Africa against Tonga, of Wales against Fiji, of Scotland against Italy or Japan against Fiji. But all those matches seem to have been really great, close and exciting. And that's something a World Cup needs. Sure there's a difference in waht teams can do, but it's always nice to see when smaller nations can give a hard time to the big names. And maybe we will see an upset in a shroter time than we all expect right now.

So Wales are out of the tournament and Fiji have earned their place in the quarterfinals. I'm really looking forward to the knock out stages.

No comments: