Wednesday 9 April 2008

In The Backyard Of The Record Collection (9): Cross My Heart - s/t

To be honest, when I first heard about the band I really found the name, well, debateable to say the least. I mean, okay, they sound like an emo band, but that name is way too cliché. Still the music is brilliant. I remember a friend telling about this new record he bought and there was this great line in one song going "...and I'm moving on my own two feet just to get my direction". He would go on and on and on raving about how great this record was and that I should really get it as soon as possible. It took me sone time to be convinced, but when I bought it it struck me with full force. The opener "Dornier" begins at a rather slow pace and tone, then suddenly crashs out and dies down again. The clear and subtle voice sets in and we're off on a great journey. This wasn't like anything I was listening to at that time. "It doesn't take that many pills to sleep forever" is the best one one this record and that's the song with that particular line my friend was talking to me about. The verse, again, very subtle and quite and then the rumbleing guitars set in for the chorus. The closing tune is yet again a true classic. Starting off with some feedback beeping which carries over from the previous track "The hypnotist" is very much hypnotizing, to say the least. There's this part in the end where there is a smal change to the previous chorus when it gets a little heavier which really gives me goosebumps.
With this record Cross My Heart from Baltimore made themselves immortal to me. Their follow up releases didn't quite get through to me as well as this one although one has to say that those records were way above average as well compared to the numerous epigones and clones that sprung up and died away with the time passing. Some of the guys are now in a band called Liar's Academy, but it just doesn't have the same feel as it had 10 years ago.

No comments: