Monday 4 February 2008

Eating Onigiri for the first time

I always wanted to try お握り (onigiri, japanese rice balls), but i never had the chance. My cooking skills are rather bad and somehow I never found the time to give it a shot. But fortunately a friend of mine had some visitors from Japan and they were kind enough to make some. We also had miso soup with the onigiri and that was all very tasty stuff. What I found very interesting is that I was stuffed after eating only two of those rather small rice balls. I still have some with me at home so I might end up eating them tonight while watching TV.
It's always interesting to try out something different and because I watch so many television series from Japan I became interested in the japanese cuisine. It's fascinating that they show people eating in almost every series and in almost every episode. That's something completely different from German television series. In germany one might see someone eat something occasionally, but then it's not specified what that person is eating. In Japan they always talk about food. Interesting difference in local culture, I think. I wonder what I should try out next...?

No comments: