Tuesday 1 January 2008

Pond Hockey in the big leagues

So I was watching this Winter Classic thing the NHL has set up his year as their big new year's spectacle. And I have to admit that this was rather funny. Open air ice hockey in a huge football stadium in Buffalo where the local Sabres took on the Penguins from Pittsburgh. I have to admit that I don't follow the action in the NHL very closely and I also don't keep track with what's happening in the German Hockey League (DEL), although I frequently take a look at how our local Kölner Haie (Cologne Sharks) are doing. I even went to see a couple of games at our local arena which was quite exciting. I always liked watching hockey, especially when they were showing international games on TV. The olympics are something I always look forward to. I'll never forget the final of the 2002 Olympics when Canada beat the USA.

Getting back to this pond hockey thing happening in Buffalo, as I said, it was really fun to watch. Although I have to say there were way too many breaks in the match because they had to repair the ice every now and then. And there was snow falling at the beginning of the game so that was another obstacle for the players as well. So there wasn't a real flow in the game at some points, but the atmosphere was really great, from what I was able to hear. Some very loud noise. In the end it was a thriller which had to be decided by a penalty shootout which Pittsburgh won 2-1. Great game.

No comments: