Friday 27 July 2007

Just in: Kommando Sonne-nmilch "Jamaica" LP

There are certain bands that accompany you for a long time of your life. Most of the time those bands are the ones' you heard in your childhood. Those were the bands who played the first tunes you listenend to. At some point you get bored of those bands, in my case that would be Die Toten Hosen from Düsseldorf, one of the bands that sparked my interest for punk music. In the early 90s their sound was just too plain and common so I left them for good. There wasn't anything left and I just didn't see any point in buying their new records and up until this very day I don't think I missed a thing. They are mainstream music nowadays, still important for the kids who might get into punk music via their records, but it's just not my thing anymore. I still like the old records, but I just can't get along with the new stuff.
At around the same time I abandoned them I stumbled across a band called Dackelblut from Hamburg and instantly fell in love with them. I think the first show I saw was in Neuss where they were selling strange stuff at their merch table called "Dackelblutique". The second time I saw them at the "Tunnels" in Cologne, I show I especially remember because of what their singer said before the show: "Hi, we are Dackelblut. We are going to play 13 songs, 8 off our old record and 5 off our new one. The show will be 50 minutes, there will be no announcements in between the songs and no encores". And that's what they did. Great.
Since then I followed what Jens "Jensen" Rachut, their singer, was doing. The previous bands and their records (Angeschissen and Blumen am Arsch der Hölle) as well as the new projects (Oma Hans). The music sounded the same, well, most of the time. What really got me was the way the lyrics were sung. It was a mixture of a melody and just reciting a poem. Also the way the lyrics were written was great. A great reflection of what was happening in the "scene", comments on police surveillance, major label success and "sellout" suspects, everything. They even did a song in Japanese with Dackelblut.


There was only one project I always ignored and that was Kommando Sonne-nmilch. I think someone played a few of their songs from their first record to me at one time and I just didn't like it. This was no punk sound, it was pure electronic stuff, something I just can't seem to cope with. But their new record is a complete turnaround. They just sound like any other Jensen band. Which is great. This time he teamed up with former Slime drummer Stephan Mahler who also sings a few lines on this record "Jamaica". Wonderful stuff. I guess this is how you age with style in punkrock.

No comments: