Thursday 17 May 2007

The music is here to stay: records revisited

There are some records I haven't listened to in quite some time and there are numerous reasons why I didn't do so. Some I just found boring after some time, some I simply forgot. Some, well, I really don't know why I didn't listen to those.
So this morning I had some time to spare since I had to set some things straight here and there and I needed some music for background entertainment. Which is why I picked a few records out of the cupboard and here we go.

The Get Up Kids - Something to write home about
Boy, I really liked this one back in the days. I remember meeting the band at the PopKomm in 1998 (?) and then a few weeks later at a great show in Monheim. I saw the band a few years earlier but I wasn't hooked at that time. But with this record everything seemed right. In my opinion they never caught up with the level they had on this record. As for their best one, I think I'd go for the Red Letter Day 10"...

Matt Skiba & Kevin Seconds - Split LP
I used to be a huge fan of Alkaline Trio and I still think their first three records are classics. Lately I didn't really get along with their newer stuff, but the old ones are great records. Anyway, this solo record is a fine piece of music as well. I only listened to the M.S. side though, haha. Somehow I can't imagine an acoustic version of 7 Seconds and , yes, I can't really get familiar with Mr. Seconds going singer/songwriter.

Joey Cape & Tony Sly - Acoustic (Split LP)
I was always into Lagwagon and I always liked No Use For A Name. So I was thrilled back then when this record came out. True, the Tony Sly side was a bit boring because Nufan-songs usually are more upbeat than Lagwagon's. But Both guys did a great job here.

The Weakerthans - Fallo
This one is special since it was such a big surprise when I found out that my old friend Stephen, who I met when he was touring Germany with Painted Thin in 1997, was playing guitar with them on their first European tour (and still does so to this very day). A wonderful record that really captures the band best, I think. JKS is just a great songwriter.

Kill Holiday - Somewhere between the wrong is right
This is the record I listened to a lot when I saw the band play live alongside with Jejune in 1996. Or was it 1997? The shows were great and so was this record. Although I have to admit that had they written the whole record so that it sounded like "Meant To Let You Down" then this would be my all time favourite record. Still, this is wonderful music.

Discount - Half Fiction
This Band was my favourite one in 1999. A friend from the US of A had made a tape for me and this band was on it with a song from this record. I saw them live that year and made an interview with their lead singer which turned out to be great. I still like the mixture of raw yet melodic punkrock songs with a female voice.

Jimmy Eat World - Clarity
Lastly this one. That used to be on heavy rotation on my record player for at least a year. Maybe even longer. I love this record to this day. From the moment I bought this I instantly fell in love with the music. Actually I can't remember why I bought this. What exactly did I like about this when I listened to the first notes at the record store? I can't remember.

Ah, sometimes it just feels great to drown yourself in your memories...

I need a new cup of coffee...

No comments: