Thursday 17 May 2007

The Blue Hearts

I can't remember when I first heard about The Blue Hearts. Maybe it was when I was watching "Kizaratzu Cat's Eye", a brilliant TV series from Japan. The main characters there form a band in one episode and play a song which they say sounds a lot like The Blue Hearts.
I got my hands on some of their records and I liked them from the start. Although they are almost 20 years old they still sound fresh and new. No I always liked the original punk sound from the 70s, but most records didn't stand the test of time with me. Obviously I still listen to bands like The Clash, but then again they didn't play the classic sound, now did they?



The Blue Hearts'
music is very simple yet it has this special feeling that gets you hooked instantly. They play simple punkrock but the way they use melodies is just great. Songs like "Linda Linda", "Hito ni yasashiku" or "Fuusen bakudan" or get to you in an instant and won't leave you for a long time. Especially "Linda Linda" is such a simplistic song that sure has the ability to annoy people when they listen to it for a long time.

Which brings me to a movie I just happened to watch recently. It's called "Linda Linda Linda" and, yes, as one might assume it's about The Blue Hearts' song. Four highschool girls decide to perform three songs by the band at a school festival and have to face a few obstacles until they find themselves on stage at the end of the movie.
Maybe it's something everyone who at some point in his or her life can relate to. I for my part really liked the movie and the atmosphere it created. The whole story starts out with the band supposed to perform at the school festival suddenly breaking up because their guitarist broke a finger and two other members got into an argument. Along comes a Korean exchange student who is quickly hired to become the lead singer although her knowledge of the japanese language is rather limited. But she shows some spirit and practices by entering a karaoke bar which leads to a hilarious discussion with the owner. You have to watch the movie to get this.
The live set at the end of the movie is wonderful and brings the whole story to a happy ending.



I tried to imagine if it is possible to convert the script of the movie to a german version but when I think of it the one thing that is lacking is the band that the girls should cover. Cause The Blue Hearts fit just right with their catchy punkrock tunes.

The Blue Hearts broke up some time in the 90s and went on to other projects and bands, most notably perhaps are The High-Lows or The Cro-Magnons (not to be confused with the Cro-Mags, of course). I listened to a few of those bands but the all never got back to what The Blue Hearts were doing.

So you might do yourselves a favour and pick up a record by The Blue Hearts.

1 comment:

Design Nature said...

love em-- used your pix of em! Looking forward to watching the movie!