Tuesday 17 June 2008

Euro 2008 Day 11: Notti magiche...

After a few weeks in which I had been sidelined due to working hours I was finally able to chase a ball on the pitch again today. Boy, I am exhausted. I always ask myself how I was able to run so much while I was younger. Well, somehow tobacco and alcohol must have taken a small toll. Anyway, I was lacking everything and after 10 minutes I was really huffing and pumping for air. Still we (that is FC Poll United 04) were able to secure the ball really well, thanks to our rather unskilled opponents. I think the final score was something like 6-4 for our side, but that doesn't really matter. It's just for fun and I hope by next week I will be a bit more like my usual self on the pitch

France vs Italy 0-2 (Group C)
What a lame match. I think you can break this down into two important situations. One: Franck Ribéry's injury after onyl 8 minutes, looks like he fractured his leg. This was not only the neckbreaker for France but this will surely have Bayern Munich manager Uli Hoeness' blood pressure rising. Anyway, Situation two was the penalty which was given to Italy after a foul play by Abidal in the penalty box. And because he was the last man of the defense he was sent off and that was it for the French side. Since Italy is one - if not THE - best defending team in world football resistance was futile for France. They had a few shots on goal, but there was no real danger. Only one shot by Benzema looked like it was a threat to Gianluigi Buffon's goal. So Italy will now play against Spain and I wonder how the band of old boys will fare against the young and hungry Spanish team.

The Netherlands vs Romania 2-0 (Group C)
One is very fortunate when he can substitute players like Arjen Robben, Robin van Persie or Claas-Jan Huntelaar in a rather worthless game. What potential. Romania didn't look like they had a chance. The Netherlands are clear favourites to win the whole thing. Period. And you know what? They would deserve it.

No comments: