Friday 16 May 2008

Home sweet home

It was always rather funny to listen to those rap songs in which the lyrics describe the surroundings of the rapper, how he grew up, how hard and tough his life was roaming the streets of his hometown district. And maybe it was always funny because the cities and their disctricts were always somewhere else. There are songs about my hometown Cologne, but those were either pretty weird and bad (as in wanna-be gangsters singing about their oh-so-tough part of the town) or they were referring to other parts of the city I never lived in.
Now while listening to our local college radio station I came across a song which deals with the south side of Cologne, exactly the part of the city in which I grew up in. The video below is kind of interesting to me since it shows a lot of streets and places I frequently go to and I think the breakdance action was shot at the "Adler" memorial which is roughly 200m from where my parents live. I am in no way an expert on hip hop, but I found the chorus rather boring, still it's a nice song and a fine description of what life was and is like on the south side. Take a look:

O-Flow feat. Kurt Hustle aka Retrogott - Köln-Sued

No comments: