Tuesday 11 March 2008

In The Backyard Of The Record Collection (8): Big Rig - Expansive Heart

Now actually I can't quite remember when or why I pruchased this little gem. I think it must have been through the infamous German mailorder Lost & Found (note to myself: I have to write about Strain some time in the future). Could have been that the review said something about the singer of Operation Ivy being in this band and that was why I bought it. Ever since I first got my hands on the Op Ivy discography CD is was head over heels in love with that band. I always liked ska-punk, but this was different, as all of us know. I wasn't that much into Rancid at that time though, that only changed when they released their brilliant "...And Out Come The Wolves" record.
So I got Big Rig and at first I didn't really know what to expect. If I recall it correctly the review in the catalogue didn't say anything about the style of the music, so I am not quite sure what I was hoping for when I put the "Expansive Heart" 7" on my turntable for the first time. It wasn't ska-punk that awaited my ears, that's for sure. This record was explosive yet very intense and touching. Only four songs, but each and every one of them is great. The title track has a great melody and simply rips through everything. The singing of Jesse Michaels just sounds as if Operation Ivy have gotten rid of all the ska stuff and became a normal punkband. I never really got into listening to his next band Common Rider, that was too much reggea for me. But Big Rig was all that I needed back than.
I have no idea if this record is still in print, but maybe you can find some songs on the internet somewhere.

No comments: